Monday, June 30, 2014

Lesson Ten

Choice 5: John 13:34-35. A New Commandment
1. According to John 13:34-35, how can others know if we are disciples of Jesus Christ?
Because Christ said that men would know that we are disciples because we love one another I believe that the love must be shown in physical ways. There is only so much love that we can show with a kind look or smile.  For others to see the love that is inside of us there must be an outward manifestation of that love.
2. List some specific ways a disciple of Jesus Christ might respond in the following situations (in accordance with John 13:34-35):
a) Someone you know is ridiculed or made fun of because of the way he or she dresses.
Christ does not care what a person looks like or how they dress.  He spent time with people of all backgrounds and monetary privilege. We should befriend anyone and everyone and not be concerned with what they look like on the outside. We should also come to their rescue and let those that are making fun know that their actions are unacceptable.
b) You see a new person at church.
As hard as it is for me to step outside of my comfort zone I need to introduce myself to new members of our ward as well as those that are visiting.  Coming out of my comfort zone will help them to feel more comfortable in unfamiliar surroundings.
3. Ponder the question, "Do people know that I am a disciple of Jesus Christ by the way I treat them?" Select a family member, coworker, or neighbor and make a short list of the things you can do during the coming week to show him or her the kind of love the Savior would show. Then follow through with what you wrote down.
My oldest son is a teenager. Do I need to say more?  While he struggles with the rages and changes in hormones in his body, the rest of the family deals with the moodiness and outbursts.  I love my son and he knows that, but I want to use this assignment as an opportunity to deepen our relationship and bring us closer together.
My list:
Strive to not yell at him when he yells at me.
Give him at least one hug every day.
Spend one on one time with him at least three times this week (something simple like playing a game, having a conversation, etc.).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home